About Bertie

Bertie is a 1996 Fairway Taxi who was in service in London for 15 years. He moved to Essex for 3 years, and then sat for a couple of months before we found him and brought him to Lincolnshire. This is his continuing story.

Tuesday 6 January 2015

I went to pick my daughter up from a nearby town last night in the dark. Bertie felt a bit sluggish on the way out. I don't know about you, but you really just get to know the feel of a car. I thought he might have been running out of fuel, but with my dashboard light on (not always; it comes and goes), I could see I had over a quarter of a tank full (cue laughter from anyone who runs a Fairway). A few minutes later, with daughter on board, and we're doing the cruise on vapour, with heavier steering than my mother's early 80's Capri laser (Momo 12 inch wheel, wide tyres, no power steering). Yes, we had indeed run out of fuel. This gave my daughter the opportunity to practice rolling her eyes. A short walk to the garage (0.5 miles) and we were all set up again. (My daughter told her friends we walked 4 miles……honestly!). It took a good 5 minutes or so of 'cardiac' pumping to bleed air from the fuel system, not knowing whether the pump was still working or not. Just as I was about to give up, I gave it a few more pumps, and he started. Phew! 400 miles in, and about 20 journeys, and I've not been stranded yet!

3 comments:

  1. Having been caught out in my own fairway (the gauges can be a bit erratic) I carry a can of diesel in the boot.I also have a short length of fuel pipe and one of those rubber priming pumps,really handy if you get a fuel blockage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also carry a can of diesel now - great idea. I fill up when he drops below half on the fuel gauge. All good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uber Scandals:

    Uber lost $1.46 billion during the 3rd quarter of 2017 and another $1.1 billion during the fourth, according to The Wall Street Journal and LA Times. What led to that? Uber had been bombarded by a steady stream of negative publicity for several years. You may go through some of the consumer reports on PissedConsumer.com. Below, there are some of the major controversial cases from 2014 and on-wards.
    source:
    https://demotix.com/controversial-taxi-services/

    ReplyDelete